Lithium batteries have a very good temperature range, for example Aolithium 12V100Ah RV lithium battery:
Operating temperature (charge) 0°C~55°C / 32℉~131℉
Operating temperature (discharge) -20°C~ 60°C / 4℉~140℉
Storage temperature -20°C~ 35°C / -4℉~95℉
When the temperature is below freezing 0 ℃ (32f), the battery will turn on the low temperature protection for cutting off charging, at this time you can discharge, but can not charge the battery.
It is important to note that if your battery does not have low temperature protection and you try to charge these batteries when they are cold, they will be destroyed instantly. You will have permanent degradation, and it will not be safe to use.
If you need to store your batteries for a long time in the off-season, there are 3 simple ways to keep your lithium batteries at the best performance.
1. Store In A Dry Room Temperature or Moisture-proof Packaging
Generally, extreme cold or extreme heat will shorten the life of the battery. If stored at room temperature, the cells inside the battery will stay healthier and last longer. Keep away from heat sources and do not place in direct sunlight.
2. Charge Your Lithium Battery Every 3 Months
Lithium batteries stored for a long time without use should be kept at 50%-60% charge, and should be recharged every 3 months and charged and discharged every 6 months. Just like your car, even if you don't drive it often, it's important to start your car on every so often to prevent premature battery death.
If your battery is completely depleted, it is difficult for the Battery Management System (BMS) to "wake up the battery" and bring its battery back to normal use. It is better to keep the battery charged than to let it be completely depleted.
3. Fully Charge Your Battery Every Time You Use It
When you use your battery, sometimes individual cells will discharge faster than others. Giving your battery a full charge will allow the cells inside to reach self-balance, which in turn will give your battery maximum runtime.
- Prohibit storage in places with strong static electricity and strong magnetic fields, otherwise it is easy to destroy the battery safety protection device and bring unsafe hidden danger.
- During transportation, attention should be paid to moisture and humidity prevention, avoid extrusion, collision, etc. to avoid battery damage.