Ever wonder what gives your trusty trolling motor its get-up-and-go?
The secret is all in the POWER SOURCE.
A trolling motor's performance hinges largely on the power source fueling it; without it, we'd be, well... up the creek without a paddle.
With lithium deep-cycle batteries emerging as the powerhouses of choice. The heart of the matter is reliability—when you're out on the water, the last thing you want to worry about is your motor grinding to a halt. Lithium deep cycle batteries, renowned for their longevity, consistent power delivery, and exceptional lifespan, bring a level of dependability that's indispensable for both leisure boaters and avid anglers.
In this article, we will discuss all the aspects of the best lithium deep cycle battery for trolling motors, important considerations before you buy one for yourself, and much more. So, let’s dive into the details.
Lithium Deep Cycle Batteries and Their Advantages
Lithium deep cycle batteries are rechargeable batteries that use lithium as their main active ingredient. They have a much higher energy density than traditional lead-acid batteries, and they can be discharged deeply (often down to 80-100% of their capacity) without being damaged. This ability to handle deep discharges repeatedly is what gives them the "deep cycle" part of their name.
And for trolling motors, Lithium deep cycle batteries are ruling! Reason? Their numerous advantages! Here’s the list of the advantages of lithium deep cycle batteries.
Longer Run Time:
Lithium deep cycle batteries have a longer run time compared to lead-acid batteries. These batteries are designed to keep the voltage consistent even during the discharge cycle.
The lithium deep cycle batteries are known to have a flatter voltage curve. This helps the voltage not to drop even if the battery is discharging and thus increases the runtime.
Lithium deep cycle batteries have extended or longer lifespans, particularly in comparison to lead-acid batteries.
Acid-lead batteries come with only a few hundred charge/discharge cycles, whereas lithium deep cycle batteries are known to have thousands. This can be a great investment in the longer term as the battery is committed to being by your side for quite a long. These batteries last five to ten times more than typical lead-acid batteries.
Weight and Size:
Being compact in size and minimal in weight is another advantage of lithium deep cycle batteries. They are compact and half less in weight compared to the regular marine deep cycle batteries. As the boats are already compact, accommodating huge batteries can be a real deal.
Lithium deep cycle batteries have solved the problem efficiently.
High Charge Efficiency:
Enjoy a much shorter charging time and less energy loss because lithium deep cycle batteries have high charge efficiency. This means they efficiently absorb energy while charging. This impact the overall charging time and energy loss.
Built-in Battery Management System:
BMS is the advantage that takes the lithium deep cycle batteries way ahead of lead-acid batteries. It looks after and manages essentials like temperature, charge rates, performance, and others to keep the battery in the best shape and health.
Factors You Must Consider When Buying the Best Lithium Deep Cycle Battery for Trolling Motors
Several factors must be considered when deciding the best lithium deep cycle battery for trolling motors. All these factors are lined up below.
- Cycle Life: This is one of the mainstream factors to be considered. Cycle life refers to the number of charge/discharge cycles a battery offers. The more the number of cycle life, the higher the longevity! Lithium deep cycle batteries usually are designed to provide extended cycle life. But you must still consider it when buying the deep cycle lithium battery.
- Battery Capacity:Battery capacity must be considered as trolling motors have to follow a runtime. Considering the trolling motor’s runtime, select a battery with a capacity good enough to support that run time.
- Voltage Matching: Trolling motors operate at multiple voltages. This is a must-consider factor if you want a hassle-free operation. Select a lithium deep cycle battery whose voltage must be compatible with that of the trolling motor.
- Price: Budget determination is another factor that you must consider. Lithium deep cycle batteries are expensive compared to others. Therefore, decide according to your budget.
- Discharge Rate: Before deciding on a lithium battery, it’s better to check the specifications. The discharge rate is of prime importance because the trolling motor’s demand may vary, and so would the battery’s discharging.
Calculating The Run Time of Your Trolling Motors Battery – Steps-By-Step Method
Calculating the run time for a trolling motor battery is a relatively straightforward process, but you'll need to know two key things: the amperage draw of your trolling motor and the ampere-hour (Ah) rating of your battery. Here's a simple step-by-step guide:
· Identify the Amp Draw of Your Motor:
Check the specifications of your trolling motor to find its amp draw (also called "current draw"). This is usually given at full power. For example, it might be around 20-40 amps for many motors, but it varies widely by model and brand.
· Identify the Ah Rating of Your Battery:
Next, you need to know the ampere-hour (Ah) rating of your battery. This tells you how much current the battery can theoretically deliver for a certain period. For example, a battery rated at 100 Ah can deliver 5 amps for 20 hours.
· Calculate the Battery Life:
To estimate the battery life, divide the Ah rating of your battery by the amp draw of your trolling motor. For example, if your motor has an amp draw of 20 amps and you have a 100 Ah battery, your battery life at full power would be roughly 5 hours (100 Ah / 20 amps = 5 hours).
Remember, this is a rough estimate, and actual run time can vary based on several factors, including the age and condition of the battery, weather conditions, water currents, and the speed at which you operate your trolling motor. Most anglers don't run their trolling motors at full speed constantly, so in practice, your battery might last longer than this calculation suggests.
What is the best Lithium Deep Cycle Battery for Trolling Motors?
Lithium Deep Cycle batteries by Aolithium! Look no further if you are looking for standard lithium deep cycle batteries. Aolithium manufactures a wide range of batteries, bear expertise, and have a dedicated R & D working at the back to come up with options second to none.
These batteries are made according to set standards and procedures. While manufacturing them, Aolithium ensures a design and system that’s compatible universally.
Maintenance Tips for Your Lithium Battery for A Trolling Motor
Follow these tips to keep your lithium battery forever young and thriving!
- Regular Charging: If you wish your deep cycle lithium battery to have a longer life span, keep it at 50% charge minimum even if not in use. This increases its lifespan.
- Avoid Over-Discharging: It must not be over-discharged. Or below 20%, or it can result in damage.
- Regular Inspection:A regular inspection is recommended. Inspect your battery regularly for any cracks, swelling, or leakage. It’s a good practice to detect the problem at an early stage and act likewise.
- Keep it Cool:Never place them in direct sunlight or humid weather. T’s highly recommended to keep them cool.
- Don’t Let it Freeze: If frozen, they aren’t of any use. It is therefore suggested to keep them below freezing point in winter.
Frequently Asked Questions
1- what size of the lithium deep cycle battery is best for trolling motors?
Well, it depends on the size of the trolling motor or the time period that you may spend in the water keeping it running. For instance, a 100 amp-hour battery is great for small trolling motors. If the trolling motor is big, the battery’s size and capacity will increase accordingly.
On the other hand, the GCI group size recommends number 27 battery size for trolling motors.
2- How Long Will A 100Ah Lithium Battery Last on A Trolling Motor?
`1 hour 51 minutes! A 100Ah lithium battery will last this much on a full-speed trolling motor.
3- How Often Should I Charge My Trolling Motor Battery?
Overall it depends upon the requirements, battery capacity, and many other factors. However, generally recharging your trolling motor battery every month is a recommended practice.
4- Can I Use My Car Battery with The Trolling Motor?
Yes! But it is highly not recommended. Trolling motors require less amount of charge for extended time periods, whereas a car battery provides a large amount of charge for a shorter time span.
Lithium deep cycle batteries have revolutionized the energy sector. They are rugged, productive, have a longer span, and are great for throttling motors. Your plans of fishing for the whole day long aren’t slowing down sooner because a lithium deep cycle battery’s the power source.
When buying a lithium deep cycle battery, consider important factors like pricing, cycle life, battery capacity, and others to enjoy the advantages that these batteries offer fully.